From a photograph by Solomon D. Butcher of four daughters of rancher Joseph M. Chrisman, at their sod house in Custer County, Nebraska. From left to right, Harriet, Elizabeth, Lucie, and Ruth. Photographed in 1886.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Grocery Store Music

Another Trip Down Memory Lane...



One time when I was a teenager, Mama and I were going through the aisles of the grocery store, and I made a derogatory remark about "grocery store music". A big band song was playing, and I'm sure it was the sort of thing she had listened to as a young person. (Mama graduated high school in 1940.) She looked at me and laughed and said, "Oh, is that what it is?!"

Now that I'm in my mid-50's, I notice that many of the stores are playing my music. I hear the Beatles all the time, the Beach Boys too, and many others. The other day when I was in the fabric store, Bob Dylan was on the muzak. (He never could carry a tune, bless his heart.) "That's Bob Dylan,"I said to the lady who was cutting my fabric. "Huh? Oh, really?" she said. I think she probably grew up before the Bob Dylan era. She looked like she was of early Elvis Presley vintage.

The Peddler's Mall flea market in Hopkinsville always plays music of the 1950's, mostly rock-and-roll. I find it very cheerful. Those toetapping rhythms put me in the right mood for looking at all that old junk in there. I'm sure that's what the mall owners have in mind.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.