Monday, April 28, 2008

First Presbyterian Church in Hopkinsville, KY


Church buildingFirst Presbyterian Church in Hopkinsville, Kentucky

First Presbyterian Church is located in Hopkinsville's historic downtown area, just a few blocks east of Main Street on the corner of 9th and Liberty.

A Presbyterian church was built on this site in 1849. It is described as "a large, substantial brick building, with basement offices, etc." (source), and it was used during the Civil War as a Confederate hospital. In 1880, the building in this photograph was erected and put into service, replacing the previous structure.

I've attended a reception in a meeting room at this church, but I haven't yet visited its sanctuary.   I suppose I could visit on any Sunday morning, but I generally go to my own church then!

I always enjoy seeing the cheery red doors when I drive past. If they are meant to spark interest and appear welcoming, I think they achieve their goal.

Related post: Camp Alcorn at Hopkinsville, Kentucky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.