Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sources for Color Palettes

Masterpiece color palettes



Whether it's your home, a brochure, a quilt, or a website, color is an important part of the design. It will have a tremendous influence on the final appearance.

One way to find a set of colors is to use a palette generator. Give it the URL of any Internet image, and it will produce a palette of colors. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Color Inspiration from the Masters of Painting, a post on the Colourlovers blog suggests taking a color palette from a famous painting that you like.

The article includes some nice color combinations extracted from famous paintings by Van Gogh, Picasso, etc. (If you register, you can download the palettes, and vote for the ones you like by clicking the little hearts.)

Somehow, it sounds a little more sophisticated to say your palette is taken from a Rembrandt painting rather than produced by an Internet palette generator. And remember -- you can run the Rembrandt through the palette generator and see what colors come out.

The idea of finding a palette of colors in a painting appeals to me because
Running the Monet through the palette generator, here's what I got:



















I don't think the palette generator does the Monet justice. The colors it found are so gloomy! That painting doesn't seem gloomy to me. Here's my human selection of colors from the same painting:







Technorati tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no - I collect these but I didn't what to call them!! I have a book that I keep my paint chips in - I make greeting cards out of them. I didn't know that other people collected odd things like I do! I love the all the different color combos and how each one makes you feel different. Some of them remind me of people and places. OK - maybe I'm ready for some kind of therapy! I loved the links! Thanks for sharing!

Genevieve Netz said...

I'm not doing any redecorating at present, but I still save pictures that have color combinations I really like. I'd have to move into John Edward's mansion (28,000 square feet) to have enough rooms to try out all the palettes I've collected.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.