Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bad Morning Blues

Memorable coffee spills


Yesterday morning, the alarm rang, and I struggled out of my bed, slapped the clock until it shut up, and staggered to the kitchen with my eyes half-shut.

Dennis had left the coffee plugged in for me, so I got a cup, set it on the counter, and poured some coffee in it. That is, I intended for the coffee to go in the cup. Unfortunately, the cup was upside down, so I actually poured some coffee over the cup.

I cleaned up the spill with a few paper towels, turned the cup over, and tried again with my eyes open.

Some years ago, I had a memorable bad morning of this sort. I came out to the kitchen and discovered that I'd forgotten to fix my coffee the night before. I cleaned out the old coffee grounds, washed the pot, filled the coffee basket with new coffee, and turned on the coffee maker. Then I went to take a shower.

When I came back to the kitchen, I found I'd forgotten one important step in the coffee-making process -- setting the coffee pot in its proper place on the coffee maker. The coffee had come out of the maker and flowed wherever gravity took it. I had a huge mess to clean up -- and I still didn't have a cup of coffee. Now that was a bad morning.

I do hate having a mess to clean up, first thing in the morning.

3 comments:

Marathon Pundit said...

I've done that.

Genevieve Netz said...

It's not a good omen for the day. :)

ptg said...

I had to quit using the type of coffee machines that you can forget to put the pot under. Too many big messes. For years I just boiled water in a pot and threw in the coffee.

A coffee drinking friend that couldn't stand what he called my "cowboy coffee" found a tiny one-cup coffee machine for me. I still forget now and then, but have less mess, and less aggravation when I do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.