Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Conflicted about Christmas Candy

With the temptation, a way to escape


I'm looking forward to Christmas, except for the Christmas candy.

The last few years, I've made a big box of homemade candy and sent it to my mother-in-law before Christmas.

Mama Netz used to enjoy making lots of candy and giving it away at Christmas. Now she is 93, and she lives in an assisted-living home.

It's hard to think of gifts for her, but she does enjoy having the candy to share. Part of the gift is that I use her recipes to make some candies that she used to make.

It's only about 2-1/2 weeks until Christmas now, so I need to get the box in the mail.

However, I'm reluctant to start because I like candy too much. It's hard for me to resist sampling the dipped chocolates and fudges and mints and so on.

I don't want to gain any weight or elevate my cholesterol or triglycerides, because I'm at the end of my prescriptions. I have to go back to the doctor within the next 30 days, and I hate it when he lectures me.

Yes, the doctor worries me more than the actual state of my health does. His nagging has affected me. I used to enjoy making candy instead of feeling guilty and worried about it!

Here is my plan. I'll make as much candy as possible on the next three days and send the box by UPS on Friday. Then I'll make all the candy plates for friends and neighbors, and I'll deliver those right away, too.

I'll save some candy for the family on Christmas Day, but I'm going to keep it in the shed until then. Anyone who wants to sneak a piece in advance will have to put on a coat, get the key, and go for a little excursion.

7 comments:

Beth said...

That sounds like a good plan--how about posting some of the recipes so your mother-in-law's candy can be spread around the country? Merry Christmas and Happy candy making.

Sarabeth said...

Try chewing gum as you make it so you don't sample too much. I keep ice water near me when we make cookies this time of the year. That keeps me from eating too many.

Genevieve Netz said...

Thanks for the support, ladies. I'll post up links to this year's recipes in another post. Many of last year's recipes are linked in the December, 2007, the Christmas candy post.

Keely said...

If you want any of what I'm making I'll give you some. I'm on day three of the making process. It's really lost most of it's appeal at this point.

Genevieve Netz said...

Thanks, Keely. I will consult with you and see what you've made that I'm not making. I appreciate the offer because I didn't get anything done today. It may be Monday before I get it sent.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I love sweets so much. They are my downfall. I hate lectures also from health professionals. I have strong desires to make candy and cookies this season but have to hold it at bay--especially for the sake of my husband's health. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

Collagemama said...

I worry more about flossing, blood pressure, and bone density lectures than my actual health, so I relate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.