Thursday, July 16, 2009

To Kansas and Back

Family gathering


Highway 54, Kansas Flint Hills

I've had a busy week of travel. I left on Sunday morning and drove to Independence, Kansas, where I rendezvoused with my sister Charlotte and her son Grant. On Monday morning, my brother Dwight and his son Michael arrived, and we all attended my Aunt Cleona Allen's funeral. Aunt Cleona was my father's sister.

Monday night and Tuesday, I visited at Dwight and Kathy's home near Spivey, Kansas. Wednesday, I drove to Charlotte's house near Wheatland, Missouri, and today I drove home.

Even though the circumstances weren't happy, it was good to see my cousins and of course, my brother and sister and their families, too.

I enjoyed the drive through the Kansas prairies and the Missouri Ozarks. Since I was by myself, I had lots of time to think. I listened to what I liked on the radio, and no one complained when I pulled over to take pictures or stretch my legs.

I'm glad to be home tonight. I'm really tired, so I'm headed for a good long snooze in my own bed.

Current River at Van Buren, Missouri

3 comments:

Lesa said...

I'm sorry about your aunt and glad that you had a safe trip. Isn't it sad that the only time see loved ones is when someone passes away?
Hope you have a good snooze tonight!

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

So sorry about the loss of your Aunt Cleona. So true what Lesa said, too. I always love the pictures on your blog. You and your family are in my prayers. Bless you all.

Genevieve Netz said...

Thank you, ladies. Aunt Cleona had leukemia. She was 80 years old. She was a staunch Christian, and her soul has gone to eternity with her Heavenly Father and all the saints.

May our friends and family be able to say the same about us when we go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.