Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Highway Wildflowers

Daisies and lace


Along Highway 68/80 as it approaches Hopkinsville from the east, the ditches are full of white wildflowers. I don't think they were planted by the State Highway Department. I believe the long, cool, damp spring this year made it easy for wildflower seeds to sprout and get established.


These are Queen Anne' lace, oxeye daisies, and another locally common wildflower that puts on clusters of tiny daisy-like flowers. I think they might be a type of fleabane (possibly Philadelphia fleabane), but I'm not sure. The USDA Plants database returns 244 results for "fleabane", and I'm too lazy tonight for earnest research.

2 comments:

Mourningdove said...

Hi Genevieve,
I haven't been on your site in some time. I am so glad to see you are still doing your amazing writing! I will remember to stop in again more often!

Genevieve Netz said...

How nice to have you visit, Mourningdove. I've thought of you often and wondered how you are doing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.