Friday, July 13, 2012

Rules for Good Speech

Good verbal communication


This list is from a 5th grade reader that was written about 70 years ago. It appears in a chapter about patriotism that urges the readers to express their patriotism with "good speech." These standards still apply to speaking today -- whether in conversation or more formally.


1. I will have something interesting to say.

2. I will stand correctly when I speak and sit correctly as I listen.

3. I will look at and talk to my audience.

4. I will speak in a friendly manner.

5. I will speak loud enough to be easily heard.

6. I will speak distinctly.

7. I will try to pronounce all words correctly.

8. I will use correct English.

9. I will leave out unnecessary words.

10. I will be a courteous listener.

From The World Around Us, by Gerald Yoakam, M. Madilene Veverka, and Louise Abney, published by The State of Kansas, Topeka. Copyright 1941, Laidlaw Brothers. Page 194.


2 comments:

Collagemama said...

The rules are just suggestions now, but are sage advice.

Genevieve Netz said...

I liked the one about having something interesting to talk about. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.