Good verbal communication
This list is from a 5th grade reader that was written about 70 years ago. It appears in a chapter about patriotism that urges the readers to express their patriotism with "good speech." These standards still apply to speaking today -- whether in conversation or more formally.
1. I will have something interesting to say.
2. I will stand correctly when I speak and sit correctly as I listen.
3. I will look at and talk to my audience.
4. I will speak in a friendly manner.
5. I will speak loud enough to be easily heard.
6. I will speak distinctly.
7. I will try to pronounce all words correctly.
8. I will use correct English.
9. I will leave out unnecessary words.
10. I will be a courteous listener.
From The World Around Us, by Gerald Yoakam, M. Madilene Veverka, and Louise Abney, published by The State of Kansas, Topeka. Copyright 1941, Laidlaw Brothers. Page 194.