What concerts have you attended? What concerts would you like to attend?
We ate supper last night with Keely and Taurus (her boyfriend.) The conversation turned to concerts and music stars. Keely asked an interesting question:
whom would you choose?
She named some bands of the past that she wished she could see -- the Beatles, the Beach Boys in 1970, Guns N' Roses, and others.
I've been thinking about that. I don't follow popular music at all. But of the musicians and groups I like, who are still performing, I'd choose Asleep at the Wheel.
Some musicians of the past whom I'd like to see in concert are:
- I agree with Keely that it would be fun to see the Beatles, and I think 1966 or 1967 would be a good time.
- I would like to see Steve Goodman.
- I'd also like to see Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys during the 1930s or 1940s.
- And I'd enjoy seeing the Blackwood Brothers when Wally Varner was playing the piano and J.D. Sumner was singing bass -- maybe about 1960.
Here's a list of some people and bands whom I did see in concert (back in my younger days.)
- Mac Davis in 1970 or 1971, in Chadron, NE, when I was a college student in that town
- Henson Cargill, also at Chadron. Actually, he played at a dance, not a concert.
- the Beach Boys in the late 1970s at the Missouri State Fair, an unforgettable experience
- Neil Diamond, twice in Kansas City (1977? and 1983?) and once in West Berlin (1990?)
- Linda Ronstadt, in Kansas City (1980)
- Kris Kristofferson in Kansas City (1984)
- Arlo Guthrie, in Kansas City (1985)
- John Prine, also in Kansas City (1985). (Arlo Guthrie was his warm-up act.)
Of this group, Linda Ronstadt was the only one that I organized a trip to see. She has a great voice, and I really liked her music (up to that point.) But at the concert, Linda sang only a couple of her past hits. She was in the process of changing from country/rock style (Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits Volumes I and II) to punk rock.
I was a little disappointed by that concert, but it foreshadowed Linda Ronstadt's future style -- eclectic. Through the years since then, I've enjoyed only a small number of her recordings (most notably, those with Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton). However, I suppose she has enjoyed her musical adventures, even without me.
My husband was the organizer of the trips to see Neal Diamond. I had a great time at the concerts even though I am only a lukewarm Neil Diamond fan. (I like his music OK, but I've never bought an album.) He is a dynamic performer. If anyone ever offers you a ticket to see him, you should take it.
What concerts have you attended? What musicians or groups (from any era) do you wish you could see?