Saturday, January 12, 2008

Dieting Over the Holidays

The retail diet plan



Weighing inI have a helpful hint for anyone who wants to avoid weight gain over the winter holidays. It's a simple hint, but I swear that it worked for me -- just work 35-40 hours a week at a busy retail store.

I lost ten pounds between November 10 and January 10. I ate my usual peanut butter and toast for breakfast, and I took a sandwich to work for lunch. That was conservative enough, but every night when I got home from work, I enjoyed supper and a liberal amount of homemade Christmas candy.

When I went to the doctor in mid-December, he told me to keep my job because it was good for me. My cholesterol was up a little (probably from the Christmas candy!) but I had actually lost some weight. I have to get a cholesterol re-check in a couple of months, but I expect it to be OK now that the Christmas candy is all gone.

The retail worker's day is full of light exercise, done quickly -- lifting, walking, carrying, reaching, bending, kneeling, climbing, etc. At my store, if you're on the clock you're standing, even if you aren't working. All in all, it's the most effective weight-loss plan I've ever experienced.

To be honest, if I hadn't been working, I would have spent a good portion of November and December sitting at my computer, where I burn a minimum of calories! I usually gain at least 5 pounds over the holidays. I do agree with the doctor that my job has been good for my health, though it certainly has cut into my blogging time!

2 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Congratulations! That's awesome to lose weight during the holidays!

Genevieve Netz said...

Mrs. Mom, no one is more amazed than I am! I'm happy about it, though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.