Friday, February 22, 2008

My Brother's Friend

Loss of a good man



My sister called last night and said that my brother's dear friend, Johnny, has passed away. Johnny and his wife have been neighbors to my sister and family for years. My brother used to live in that neighborhood too, and that's how he and Johnny happened to become close friends.

Johnny was older than my brother by a good bit, nearly as old as my dad. I imagine he thought of Dwight as a son in many ways. The few times I happened to see Johnny and Dwight together, I was impressed with the camaraderie and respect they shared.

Johnny's wife once told Dwight that he was the only one who would listen to Johnny's trucker stories. Dwight says he knows Johnny's tales of his trucking adventures were all true, because the facts in them never varied from one telling to the next. I should add that Dwight has done enough trucking to appreciate a good trucker story.

Deep, true friendships don't come along often in life. I'm sad for my brother's loss.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.