Saturday, February 16, 2008

Flu (Or Maybe It's a Cold)

Bad case of the creeping crud



Sick girl I don't feel well. I have a little fever, chills, chest congestion, a cough, a drippy nose, aches and pains. Dennis wants to go shopping for a new (different) pickup truck this afternoon, but he may have to go alone.

Flu has hit my store, leaving various departments with no one to work. I suspect that's where I picked up the bug, from a sick co-worker or customer. I'm off work for the weekend, so I won't have to call in sick. I hope I'll feel better by Monday.

St. Peter and Paul School in Hopkinsville closed a few days recently to interrupt their flu cycle. The public schools haven't been closed yet, though they've had reduced attendance several days.

Isaac ran a fever of nearly 102° for a couple of days. I took him to the doctor, thinking he might have a strep infection. The doctor ruled that out but gave him antibiotics for bronchitis. A couple of weeks later, his coughing is not as severe, but still persistent.

I didn't get a flu shot, though I should have. It wasn't convenient for me to get one. My store needs to offer flu shots, but I suppose they think their employee turnover is so great that it wouldn't be a money-saving proposition.

Anyway, I've read that some of the flu viruses that are around currently don't match the viruses in this year's flu vaccine. Sometimes the flu viruses outsmart the vaccine makers.

By the way, why do you suppose so many clip-art images show sick men and children, with women taking care of them? I guess it's because we're naturally tough. (Usually, that is.)

8 comments:

Lesa said...

I just heard on the radio that the flu shots that were given this year are only effective for 40% of the flu viruses that are currently going around. The creators of the vaccine were out smarted for sure this year! My husband had a sinus infection the week before Christmas. He has been to the doctor twice and still has a cough that is driving us crazy! After two rounds of antibiotics, he has decided to just tough it out and keep the Ricola and Robitussin companies in business! Wonder if we could buy stock in their companies?
Stay in and keep warm. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Genevieve Netz said...

Hi, Lesa. Thanks for your good wishes. I am using Coldeez lozenges (I think they're mostly zinc) and Advil Cold and Sinus. Seems to be perking me up a bit.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I have no secret recipes for a 'magic cure' to impart. I'm a two acetaminophen and take to my bed type of guy, but I wish you a speedy recovery.

Genevieve Netz said...

Hi, Limey. I'm ready for a speedy recovery. My temperature ranged from 101° to 103° last night, and I didn't enjoy the experience. Today, it's hovering around 99.5° to 100°. If I still have a temp tomorrow, I guess I will call in sick.

Sarabeth said...

Genevieve, I feel so behind in reading posts. I hope you are better by now and not suffering from fevers and the like.

I'm having to go for another chest x-ray to ensure that the pneumonia is gone.

May you not have any of those problems.

All my best,

Sarabeth

Marathon Pundit said...

Hi Genevieve...By some miracle, I haven't been hit by even a cold in months. Which means I'm due.

Genevieve Netz said...

My goodness, Sarabeth, pneumonia? You've been seriously ill. I hope you're feeling much better!

I went to the doctor today. The doctor said he'd spent the day with this bronchitis and fever bug, (which is different than last week's diarrhea and nausea bug.) I have some antibiotics and I am certainly looking forward to feeling better.

Genevieve Netz said...

Hi, John. Your running probably strengthens your immune system. I hope you continue to stay healthy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.