Monday, May 17, 2010

Tennessee Renaissance Festival, 2010

Photos of Tenn-Renn


Despite a rainy weather forecast, the kids and I went to the Tennessee Renaissance Festival ("Tenn-Renn") on Saturday. We arrived about 10:00 AM, and it didn't start raining until about 3:00 PM, so we had a good bit of time to enjoy the sights, shows, and shopping.

Keely, Taurus, and I wore garb that was more or less historically correct for the medieval period. Isaac wore shorts and a T-shirt -- smart move! When the sun finally burst through a lingering fog, the day became very hot and humid. I began to overheat inside my long skirt. I even thought about hitching it up and tucking it into my belt! I like to dress up, but I don't like to swelter.

The Renn Faire didn't seem as busy as it has been other years. Perhaps it was because of the weather forecast, or perhaps it was because people in the Nashville area are still busy with flood cleanup.

The Bag Lady and Looney Lucy both seemed to be missing this year. I hope that the ladies are doing well, wherever they are. We also didn't see the Queen, but that was our own fault. We were attending shows when she walked through the village to the knighting ceremony she conducted and we left before she held court.

Here are some of the photos I took:

Gentlemen of the Realm
Goblin and Ogre


Future foretold
Feathers in her hair
and three fur tails


Seller of knives


Waiting for entertainment
A moment of rest in the shade


Bellydancers and bagpipers
Fairies can jig too!

Bystanders
You, too, can be a knight.

I gained weight just by
taking this photograph!
Carving a monogram on a
walking stick we bought for Dennis

Fantasy headgear
Crystals to hang in the windows

Fairies, pixies, or bugs?
The "Oops Knife Show" was so funny
that I almost forgot to take pictures!

Ladies of the Realm
A rainbow of striped socks

A barbarian consented
to be photographed.
A few minutes later, he
consented to a cold beer!

The street beside the arena
Thomas The Lapidary, himself

In the afternoon, we begam to hear thunder in the distance. Then, as we were visiting the tent of Thomas the Lapidary, light rain began to fall. The Queen was going to hold court in the arena in just a few minutes, but we decided to head for the car. We were well-sprinkled, but not completely saturated when we piled inside and drove out of the parking lot. Within the next few minutes, heavy rain poured down, so we were glad that we left when we did.

From the archives:
Tennessee Renaissance Festival 2006
Tennessee Renaissance Festival 2007
Tennessee Renaissance Festival 2008
Tennessee Renaissance Festival 2009

7 comments:

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I love the out fits. The queen's dress is amazing. I love reading about your adventures. :)

Unknown said...

That looks like fun!! I'll have to go next year :)

Ginger M said...

Hi I work with the fair entertainment staff. I am sorry you missed Lucy she's here. Lady Ettie is nursing an injury but hopes to be back to her festive self soon. I will let her know you missed her. She will be touched!

Genevieve Netz said...

Stitchy, you should definitely make the trip to Tenn-Renn, one of these May weekends. It's an interesting event, and since you're a crafty person, I think you would really enjoy seeing the costumes that people think up, make, and wear.

Jill, most definitely. In fact, I recommend the Renaissance Festival for your entire family. I don't have small children so I don't photograph the activities for people their size, but there are plenty of things they would find interesting to see and do.

Genevieve Netz said...

Ginger, thanks for your note and the news. Please give my best wishes to both ladies and tell them that I always enjoy them at the Renn Fest.

Collagemama said...

Lots of years we attended Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie, TX, to celebrate a birthday or Mother's Day. Nothing like mud, humidity, and threatening storms to make me appreciate the air conditioning advances between the Renaissance and the 20th century. I have wonderful memories of the living chess board, the falconry demonstrations, and the jousts.

Genevieve Netz said...

You should go again, Collagemama. :) In costume!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.