Saturday, February 18, 2012

Good People

I do use this oil.

Willing to help


Yesterday, I filled my car with gas and checked the oil. The dipstick showed that the oil was a little low, so I stopped at Walmart and bought a quart. Back in the parking lot, I raised the hood of my car. It didn't offend my sense of class to add oil then and there, and besides, I was afraid I'd forget if I waited.

During the few moments that I stood in front of my car with the hood up, I was asked three times if I needed help. The first people who approached me were a black couple about my age, who parked their pickup truck nearby. The next person was a white-haired man who came out of the store and got into his little sports car. And the third person was a tall young fellow with a tattoo on his neck.

I thanked them each, and I'm still warmed by their unexpected kindness.

While typing this, I remembered a similar incident. I often clip my purse to the cart with a carabiner when I am shopping. One evening, I was ready to wheel my groceries out to my car, but I was having trouble getting my purse unclipped. I had hooked the carabiner to a small slot in the cart that was awkward to reach.

One of the Kroger employees, a girl who was bringing in a big line of shopping carts from the parking lot, saw me fumbling as I stood by the door. "Are you all right, ma'am? Do you need help?" she asked.

About that time, I finally got the carabiner detached. I felt silly, but I genuinely appreciated her friendly offer to assist, and I thanked her for it.

I think we are blessed with a solid core of kind-hearted, decent people here in Christian County, Kentucky.

I like that explanation much better than the possibility that I look so incompetent that strangers pity me!

6 comments:

Limey said...

Although many people moan about the state of the town, I am always warmed by the neighbourly attitude of the residents when I visit there (which is far too infrequent). The people of your fine town are by far your best asset and I only wish we had something a bit more like it where I live in the suburbs of London.

Genevieve Netz said...

Hi, Limey. I hope all is going well with you. Please give my greetings to your family.

We do have our problems in Hopkinsville, but what place doesn't? People sometimes become so obsessed with the negatives that they are blind to the positives.

Elaine said...

When we broke down in the middle of a southern Arkansas soy-bean farm (nothing in view in any direction across acres and acres of flat fields)--in 95 degree heat--no less than 3 people stopped to help us, providing information that helped us guide the tow truck to us and link up with a car dealer who could make the repairs. SO grateful!

Genevieve Netz said...

Elaine, I had a similar experience when a major belt on my car broke miles from anywhere in the Nebraska Sandhills. The next person who came down the highway, a young man with his girlfriend, stopped to help, and when he couldn't do anything, he gave us (my two children and me) a ride back to the nearest ranch house along the road.

The nice people of the ranch house (who raise buffalo!) called a tow truck and insisted that we wait in their home for the tow to arrive from a town about 90 miles away. The wait turned out to be several hours, but they were very gracious to us the whole while.

I think there are a lot of good people around, but most of them just don't make the news.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Amen! I love the kindness that people show each other in our small KY towns. We get made fun a lot by people who have never been here, but that's ok, all of us who live here know that we are surrounded by kind hearted people who are always quick with a smile and a giving heart in times of need. :)

Genevieve Netz said...

I agree, Stitchy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.