Responsible behavior in natural and rural areas
1. Respect the property of rural residents and ask before using it. Save fences, close gates and bars, go around planted fields.
2. People, livestock, trees, and birds were never meant to be target-practice backstops.
3. Respect the law. Catch enough legal fish to eat and then stop.
4. Clean up your camp. Don't litter the highway with trash.
5. Finish what you start. Carelessness with fires is cussedness.
6. Leave the flowers and shrubs for others to enjoy.
-- Seth E. Gordon (1890-1983), conservation director for the Izaak Walton League of America.
Quoted from Shafer's Universal Scrap Book, by Jacob H. Shafer. Published in 1945 by The Shafer Speech Service, Sunbury, PA.