Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Springtime in Christian County, Kentucky

Life in Christian County, Kentucky... More About Trees and Plants...



Wild plums

It's such a beautiful time of the year. Wild plums (above) are in bloom here and there on the hillsides. They have a lovely fragrance that takes me back to my childhood. I may write about wild plums later today (or tomorrow, because I'm about to get very busy.) I have an abiding affection for this native fruit tree.

Daffodils still come up and bloom beneath the oak trees at this old homesite near Highway 68/80 east of Hopkinsville (below.) It's not too hard to imagine a little log cabin sitting on this knoll at the head of a draw* just above the Russellville Road. The ridge would have sheltered the house on three sides, especially to the north, and the trees behind would have helped to break winter winds. This building site had good feng-shui, I think.
_____
*It occurs to me that I may be speaking some kind of a dialect when I say "at the head of a draw." I mean, at the upper end of a small valley.

Update: I noticed when I drove by there today that the old barn is still there, back in the trees just to the right of the area in the photo.

Old Homesite

4 comments:

Neurotic Mom said...

Great pictures

Runawayimagination said...

Many of the same flowers are coming up here in Nashville.

There was an old homesite back in the woods behind the house where I grew up in northern Virginia. The only evidence of its ever having existed was a very old mimosa tree and the profusion of non-native flowers that came up every spring. I often wondered what happened to the family that once lived there.

Genevieve Netz said...

Thanks, mom. :) This is a pretty area and I am blessed that I live here. I thank God for His beautiful creation.

Don't let that little tornado get you down. Too soon these years will be gone.

Genevieve Netz said...

Runaway, perhaps they went west, over the mountains to Tennessee, Kentucky, and beyond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.