Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Last Leaf

More About Trees and Plants...



The Last LeafLast leaf on the mulberry tree

When I think of "The Last Leaf", I think of O. Henry's story about the sick girl who clung to life only because she could still see the last ivy leaf.

When I was searching for that story so I could link to it, I found a poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes titled "The Last Leaf" about an old man who has lived beyond his time.

I also found a post in a blog by a lady from the Netherlands, an e-book by James Kendall Hosmer about American and European history, a poem by Joanna Baillie , and many photos -- all titled "The Last Leaf".

It's an interesting thought and image -- see for yourself the many interesting links related to that theme.

Technorati tags:



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot remember if it was a british/american film /tv play but I saw a dramatisation of it on t.v many years ago and it made an impression on me even then. I particularly remember the sacrifice of the artist who befriended the girl. And how very poignant the whole thing was.

Genevieve Netz said...

I saw that movie listed in the links. It was apparently filmed in 1983 (rated 8.8/10 by on the IMDb site) and refilmed in 2004 (not rated.)

Sarabeth said...

nice post, Genevieve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.