Thursday, November 23, 2006

Crazy Quilt

Life in Christian County, Kentucky...



Baby and Crazy Quilt

I bought this old photograph for 25¢ at the Peddler's Mall in Hopkinsville a few days ago. I found it in a stack of old family photos, and I have no idea who the baby was or why anyone would sell its photograph.

Maybe the photograph documents two of the most precious things the parents of this baby possessed -- the baby in its christening gown and an exquisitely embellished crazy quilt.

Or then again, maybe the crazy quilt was a prop that the photographer used with all the babies.

Either way, the quilt is beautiful. I notice that on the right side below the baby's hand, there seems to be a vine with appliqued flowers.

Just as a guess, I'd say the photo might have been taken in the 1920's. I say that because it reminds me a little of my mother's baby picture.

Technorati tags:




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I regret about my time spent living in the USA is not buying a gorgeous hand stitched quilt when I had the chance. It was in a sale in Clarksville at a store in the mall, and had quite a hefty reduction on it. But since I was not earning (not allowed to without a permit apparently) I had to pass it by. I guess I'll just put it down to one of life's if only............

Neurotic Mom said...

Happy Thanksgiving

Genevieve Netz said...

I swear, I thought I responded to y'all's comments! I remember typing it out -- something must have happened and I didn't post it.

Limey, I have some of the same regrets about a few things I didn't buy in Germany and Bolivia.

And Mom, I hope your Thanksgiving was great! (From what I read in your blog, I think you had a nice time with your brother.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.