Thursday, August 02, 2007

Mars on August 27

I hoped it was true, but it isn't.



Have you received any e-mail lately about Mars being unusually close to earth on August 27? I have received it from several people, and I was quite interested in it. I thought I'd do a little research and perhaps write about it on the blog. I was hoping for a clear night on August 27 so I could observe the phenomenon.

A quick search for "Mars August 27" yielded some surprising information: this planetary event happened in 2003, and the e-mails for it are still circulating.

Now that I think about it, it does seem that I remember this happening with Mars. I should remember it more clearly than I do, but I was pretty busy at that time. It was the beginning of the Iraq war and Dennis had gone to Kuwait for AAFES. Keely was starting college, Isaac was starting high school, and I was working full-time. All in all, I probably didn't have much time to look at the late-night sky.

Technorati tags: , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been a longtime frequenter of space.com for all my astronomical needs.

Sure is interesting how long emails are forwarded around, huh?

Genevieve Netz said...

Hi, Starxlr8. It is amazing, indeed, and in this case, a little disappointing!

Unknown said...

Just got that e-mail today, ha ha ha, crack me up. At least I know I can rest in peace, knowing that I am not sleeping through some event that actually happened four years ago! :)

Genevieve Netz said...

Wow, Stretch Mark Mama, I think I've had about 3000 people visit this post in the last couple weeks, and amazingly, you are the only one who left a comment. Thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.