Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Journey Back

All In The Family...



Customs House Stairway

This photo was taken at the Customs House Museum in Cairo, Illinois, about five years ago. It's a massive, handsome old building on Cairo's main street, just a block or two from the Mississippi River docks. In the old days when Cairo was an important river port, all sorts of import and export legalities were managed from the Customs House.

This is a back stairway which hadn't been reached yet by restoration efforts. The picture appeals to me today because I'm feeling bleak and hollow with occasional bursts of light.

Dennis is getting out of the hospital this afternoon. I am picking Isaac up from school and then going to get Dennis. He is very tottery on his feet. If he can't make it up the steps into the house, Isaac and I will have to make a chair in our arms and carry him in, I guess.

He's happy to be coming home, and I understand his desire to get out of the hospital, and I am grateful that he has recovered as much as he has. I hope he continues to recover rapidly and I really hope that his home care (provided by me) goes smoothly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture, Gennie. I know what you mean. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Genevieve Netz said...

Thanks, Sammie. I'm feeling a little more positive today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.