Wednesday, January 10, 2007

2006: A Year of Blogging

Blogs and Blogging... And What I Think About It...



I made my first post to Prairie Bluestem on January 6, 2006. A full year has gone by now, and as you can see on the graph, I don't post to my blog nearly as much now as I did for a while. I just don't have as much time now. In fact, that is a graph of my free time.

Some might say that if I were to add up the hours I've spent on the blog, I'd be shocked at the time I've invested. That's probably true, but it hasn't been a total waste. Here's a short list of why Prairie Bluestem has been a worthwhile hobby:

  • I've recorded some family stories that I want my children and grandchildren to know.
  • I've met some nice people through the blog.
  • I've improved my writing and organizational skills.
  • I've learned a lot about basic photo editing.
  • I've contributed to the body of information available on the internet.
  • I've learned some XTML tags and improved my knowledge of CSS.

To all my readers of the past year, thank you for visiting, and thanks for the conversation, contributions and encouragement in your comments.

8 comments:

Neurotic Mom said...

Oh don't think it was a waste of time blogging, you've had some really awesome posts and i love the stories. I've learned a lot from your blog.

Genevieve Netz said...

Aw mom, you're making me blush. Thank you for your kind words.

Collagemama said...

I didn't realize you were so new to blogging. Prairie Bluestem always looks so professional, and you are very informed about upgrades and features. Thank you for your blog, your Nebraska stories, and your commitment.

Genevieve Netz said...

This is just one of the standard Blogger templates with a few modifications to the stylesheet. I changed the background tonight but since I am lazy, the new color scheme is nearly identical to the old one.

I always enjoy your blog, Collagemama. :)

Runawayimagination said...

Genevieve,

It's hard to believe you've only been posting for one year.

Of all the blogs I read, I've enjoyed yours the most. I love:

your observer's perspective on life,
your pictures,
your stories about the Sandhills of Nebraska, where my dad grew up,
your perspective on the area where you live,
and most of all,
I love the spirit of adventure and permeates every post you make.

Genevieve Netz said...

You are a kind man, Runaway. :) Coincidentally, I added the words, "Interested observer" to my profile earlier today.

And I guess it must be the Spirit of Adventure that has changed the blog background again. I hope he has it right this time.

Larry said...

I've experienced the same pattern. I don't post as much as I used to, but I still love doing it.

As you said, blogging is also a great way to meet like-minded folks. I've enjoyed my glimpses into your life this past year.

BTW, the Butler Road photo is a really nice rural landscape shot!

Genevieve Netz said...

Larry, I have also enjoyed your rambles around Hannibal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.