Saturday, January 06, 2007

WalMart Closing Out Fabric Departments?

Some Interesting News... And What I Think About It...



According to an article in the Rolla Daily News, WalMart may be closing out fabric departments in some or all of its stores in order to expand party supplies. They may not even keep sewing machines or basic sewing supplies such as needles and thread in the stores anymore.

I'm horrified. At present, WalMart is the only place I know of in Hopkinsville where fabric and other standard sewing supplies are sold. If WalMart closes their fabric department, I'll have to drive to Clarksville (a round trip of some 60 miles) and pay three times the price to buy a piece of cloth or even a decent spool of thread.

If you have an opinion about this, please express it to WalMart Corporation. The Rolla Daily News gives the following contact information:

Those wishing to make comments to Wal-Mart can do so by calling 1-800-Wal-Mart or writing a letter to Wal-Mart Headquarters, 702 S.W. Eighth St., Bentonville, AR 72716. To sign the petition, visit the Web site: http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html, or call Judy McFarland at (573) 336-7482.


If you have a friend, relative or neighbor who sews, please give them the above contact information!

Technorati tags:






4 comments:

Peggi Meyer Graminski said...

Hi Genevieve! Wow, I had not heard this ... that's so sad! My only way to get anything fabric-wise here (besides going to Tucson - 65+ miles away) is our local Wal-Mart. It's also closest for my painting and craft needs too. I don't know what I'd do if they closed ... I think it's time to move to a bigger city (me, not you - where you live sounds lovely =) I'll have to write a letter - thanks for posting the address and website. Hope you are doing well otherwise! Peggi

Genevieve Netz said...

When I was in WalMart this evening, I thought the shelves in the fabric department looked a little bare -- as if they are not restocking as the bolts go empty.

Though to be honest, I probably have enough fabric in my house to sew for the rest of my life.

Surely they won't close out all the crafts too!

Anonymous said...

I happen to work in a Walmart fabric dept. and we have not heard any news at all on if we get to stay or not. We sell an enormous amount of fabric at my store and all of our customers are very upset about this. Everyone I have talked to has either called and complained to walmart or expressed their displeasure on an online petition. Something needs to be done to wake these executives up to smell the coffee!!

Genevieve Netz said...

Thanks for your comment, Anonymous.

I took a look at some of the comments tonight on the online petition. Many mention that WalMart drove their local fabric stores out of business. Now WalMart wants to drop out of the fabric business because it isn't lucrative enough, leaving its customers with no local source for fabrics at all.

Does WalMart really want thousands of shoppers to be angry at WalMart every time they have to drive for miles to get basic sewing supplies?

I frequently buy something in the fabric and crafts department. I very, very rarely buy anything in the party department.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.