Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Doing Things the Hard Way

Chores and Duties... The Rural Life...



Apple blossom in our yard


I have been on the computer enough today, but I haven't taken time to post anything on the blog. I apologize to my loyal readers. All five of you!

I've been working on my church's website. I wrote it about 7 or 8 years ago, and it hasn't had a major overhaul since then. I keep noticing when I look at it (especially with Firefox) that some things just aren't working right anymore.

So I started updating it today. It is a bit of a chore, but it needs to be done because it's not representing the church well. I will spend a few days tweaking it, and it will look much better, I hope.

Now that I have a template figured out, I just have to put the information and links for each page into it. It's tedious enough, but not really difficult.

I don't use a page editor. I don't like the bizarre HTML that most page editors seem to produce. I insist on doing it the proper and difficult way. (Ugh. I really am insane! ) I write the HTML and the CSS myself, using an excellent text editor called Editpad.

I've also been mowing the lawn the hard way today. That is, I've been push-mowing! The riding mower has a very flat tire. I think I might have run over a nail when I was mowing around our recently-built shed.

While I'm waiting for some help with the tire, the grass is growing rapidly. This time of the year, mowing must be done frequently to hold the wilderness at bay. So today, I got out both push mowers and changed the oil in them and got them started. When Isaac got home from school, I made him push one of them and I pushed the other for about an hour.

About a third of the lawn is still waiting for the first mowing of the year. We mow close to 1-1/2 acres, with the lawn and the roadsides. As you can imagine, I am hoping to get the riding mower going again before long.

Push mowing isn't painfully strenuous, but still, you can work up a sweat and you use both your upper and lower body. It's pretty good exercise, and that's about the best thing I can say for it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.