Thursday, October 26, 2006

Vivid Orange

Life in Christian County, Kentucky...





Lke Wilbur in Charlotte's Web, these pumpkins are ~"radiant"~! Their rich warm colors lift my spirits on this dark, damp day. They're selling for $1.98 each at WalMart. Their minor imperfections are offset by their jumbo size.

I have been thinking about baking a pumpkin custard (pumpkin pie filling baked without a crust.) I like to make it with canned pumpkin puree (rather than ready-made pumpkin pie filling.) I use the recipe on the Libby's pumpkin can and make it a little spicier. I will probably use a blend of sugar and Splenda to reduce the calories yet a little more.

I've learned that pumpkins from your own garden are great for jack-o-lanterns, but it takes a lot of time and messy work to pick a pumpkin from the vine and convert it to a pie. Now that my kids are past the Halloween stage, I'm happy to buy a few cans of pumpkin puree at the store instead of raising my own.

Update: I did bake it, and it was good. :)

Technorati tags:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.