Saturday, June 24, 2006

Flea Market Sights and Sounds

Rock & roll to shop by



PigsI saw these pigs this afternoon at the Merchants Mall, and I immediately thought about The Pondering Pig. Then I thought how odd that thought was. To explain it to most of my fellow shoppers would have required a lot of talking.

The flea market was playing some good old rock & roll on the loudspeaker today. After a dozen peppy toe-tappers like "Chantilly Lace" and "Johnny Be Good", they played "Good Night, Sweetheart"

Goodnight, sweetheart, well, it's time to go,
Goodnight, sweetheart, well, it's time to go,
I hate to leave you, but I really must say,
So goodnight, sweetheart, goodnight...

Several people around me began to sing along. A lady pushing her cart down the aisle gave me a random happy smile.

5 comments:

Trixie said...

I love the face on the pig that's front-and-center, covered in corn and flowers. What a sweet little piggie!

Christopher Newton said...

Hey, thanks for the plug, Genevieve. Does my heart good to know they're remembering we wanderers in Hopkinsville.
I love that song Goodnight Sweetheart. There is something so melancholy about it. "Tears and sorrow may make you forlorn, but with the dawn, a new day is born" sung to that sweetest of melodies. I've tried to sing it myself but my voice often breaks up at that point in the song.
I just realized that line comes right from Psalm 30..." Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning."

Christopher Newton said...

Just went to your link and noticed you're referencing the Fifties Goodnight Sweetheart and I'm referencing the Thirties song. It's okay tho - I love doo-wop too. Grew up on it. But that Rudy Vallee song - it's really special.

Genevieve Netz said...

P'Pig, I didn't know the other (older) song of the same name, but I listened to it on several midi sites last night before I got caught up in piano boogie -woogies and was sidetracked into writing about them. It is a WWII song -- no wonder the melody's a bit melancholy. When those guys left for the war, they were gone for the duration.

Genevieve Netz said...

Hmmm. I read on numerous sites that it was a WWII song, but upon reading your comment again, I see that you attribute the song's roots to the 1930's, Here is the earliest date I found associated with the song upon more research:
Al Bowley / Goodnight Sweetheart: Al Bowlly - 1931 Sessions


You can hear a fragment of Al Bowlly singing Goodnight Sweetheart at 1930's Musical Montage. (Real Audio file)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.