Friday, July 21, 2006

Enough Already!

Life in Christian County, Kentucky... More About Birds and Animals... A Small Detour from The Cheerful Ramble...



It's been "a series of unfortunate events" this summer.

I was driving down Highway 68/80 in my little Neon tonight about 9 p.m. and I hit a deer. Two of them jumped out of the ditch and were in front of the car before I even knew they were coming. I missed one and hit the other.

I am thankful that the windshield didn't break out as happened to my husband when he hit a deer on I-64 in Illinois several years ago. He had a sudden lapful of glass pellets. My car's windshield is intact and I am fine.

The hood of my car is mashed back and crumpled up. Parts of the hood have sprung up four or five inches. The driver-side headlight lens and turn signal bulb are broken. The bumper doesn't look damaged, but I haven't seen it in the light yet. I don't know about the fenders.

I drove it home but I won't be able to drive it while waiting to get it fixed. There's no way to get into the hood to reach the back of the headlight to replace the bulb or lens, and I'm not going to drive around without a left front turn signal. I think our insurance covers a rental car.

My brother is going to arrive from Kansas tomorrow around lunchtime, and he'll be visiting for several days. I don't have time to mess around with all this, but I want to get the rental car tomorrow so I'll have something to drive while he's here.

And the part that I keep trying not to think of is that poor, poor deer. I don't know where it went, but it surely must have died. When I go to town tomorrow to take care of the insurance, I'm going to take a different road because I don't want to see it.

Smashed car

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer. We have lots of deer on the road to our house because we live next to Berry College in Georgia. Berry has thousands of undeveloped wooded acres and many deer. I see them every evening, and, unfortunately, I see their bodies too often. I know some people consider them vermin, but I still hate to see Bambi killed. I really, really don't want to hit one.

Neurotic Mom said...

((((Hugs)))) Glad you didn't get hurt.

Christopher Newton said...

Glad you're safe, anyway.

Trixie said...

I am so sorry. I've come close a couple of times -- it has been a miracle that I haven't hit one too. I hate to see any animal do battle with a car.

GreenmanTim said...

It is so devastating for all concerned when a vehicle collides with a large creature. I once hit an African Rock Python on a dark road while speeding with a snake-bitten child to a distant clinic. I saw something fall out of the back of a pickup truck ahead of me and thought it might be lumber so i was slowing down when my light Isuzu hit the snake full on at about 60 mph. I ended up in a ditch, and the other adult in the car refused to get out because he thought the snake would try to get in. I never found the carcass but estimate it was at least 15 ft long. The child recovered, despite the lack of appropriate medical care.

Genevieve Netz said...

Thanks, everyone. I filled out the accident report today, went to the insurance company, and picked up the rental car. My brother took a look at the Neon and immediately agreed with me that it's not drivable. He thinks I should tell the insurance company to send a tow truck for it rather than driving it to the claims adjuster's shop since the radiator could have been damaged.

Unknown said...

Hey Gene:
Sorry to hear about that accident and I'm pleased to know that you were not hurt. I hope that rental treats you all right... As my last rental, I had to drive with a window down because of an excessive air-freshner/parfume spill?
I know your Brother is going to enjoy his vacation stay, for sure.
Sincerely, ~(:-_))-kfh

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.