Friday, July 14, 2006

Found Inside Old Books

History and Old Stuff...



Here are a few of the things I've found tucked into the pages of old books.

  • A prayer for people who are discouraged
  • A little lock of hair tied with thread
  • A Beatles bubble gum trading card
  • A handwritten recipe for salt-rising bread
  • Old photo of children sitting on the back of a large bull or ox
  • Pressed maple and oak leaves
  • Old clipping about common backyard birds of Kentucky
  • List of games to play at a party
  • Old clipping about best lawn grasses
  • A wedding napkin from June of 1962
  • Old Sunday School paper with a picture of the Good Shepherd
  • Old picture postcard of Amsterdam
I usually just leave these things in the books I found them in. I did take the lock of hair out and throw it away because it was discoloring the pages. I've actually found quite a few clippings, but I don't remember the precise subjects of them all right now.

Related post:
A Prayer For Today

Technorati tags:



5 comments:

Collagemama said...

I love finding things between the pages of old books. Having worked on library cataloging of special historic and eccentric collections, it is a blast to add a documentation to the catalog of pencil notes in the margins, items tipped in (glued in), errata, and ephemera. I love finding pressed leaves and flowers, grocery lists, New Year's resolutions, and ticket stubs.

Wrkinprogress said...

Well how fun! It's nice when you run smack dab into serendipity, isn't it?

Genevieve Netz said...

I have bought far too many old books, and that's why I'm able to write such a long list.

About pencil notes in the margins, I don't mind them particularly (especially if they're ancient) but I really hate it when someone has underlined in ink (usually without a straight edge), or worse yet, highlighted in a book. Unless the book is absolutely fascinating, I won't buy one that has been marked up like that.

Anonymous said...

Gennie, I remember finding $5 in a book I checked out from our high school library. Having very little spending money, I thought it was a blessing from God! I was so happy I shared my good fortune with my best friend and room-mate, only to find it belonged to her. She had read the book and used the bill for a book mark. I knew she would never lie so I couldn't even be mad. I chuckle about it when I think of it(and a lot of other memories from that era too)! Sammie

Genevieve Netz said...

Sammie, how nice to find your comment here! You remember so many things that have just left my mind!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.