Friday, August 04, 2006

Catching Up

Chores and Duties...



When we hiked to Eagle Falls on Tuesday afternoon, it was very hot and humid. The trail is so steep that many of the steps are cut into the stone of the hillside. It was a strenuous trip, just as the pamphlet had warned, and did I mention that it was terribly hot? I had to stop frequently to catch my breath and cool down a little.

We climbed up and down and around and finally we came down into a little ravine with a tiny stream at the bottom of it. The shade was dense and the head of the ravine was very dark. At the bottom where we crossed the water, the air temperature was remarkably cool. I think the cool air and the little stream must have come from a small cave at the top of the ravine.

As we stood there refreshing ourselves in the delicious coolness, I told myself that I wanted to remember that place always -- that dark, green, wet, cool, beautiful, mossy, rocky crevice in the hillside.

I need to keep that place in my mind as a refuge and retreat where I can catch my breath and cool down when the trail gets too steep. I'm going to need it.

I'm having the after-trip blues tonight. So many things need to be done. As we pulled up to the house yesterday, the first thing I noticed was the tall grass. I'll start mowing tomorrow afternoon, when the worst of the day's heat has passed. I bought gas today for the mowers.

The laundry ... the house ... the yard ... the garden ... the paperwork ... the search for a job ... and so much more! I could whine on and on, but what good will that do? The only thing that will help is to get busy and get it done.

Technorati tags:





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.